Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Willow Waiting

I thank God for the little things, especially Willow!

I hit the snooze for the third time--
Like marbles falling on tile, her toenails dance to my side of the bed
Her tail wags her happy body, disconnected at every joint
Reminding me of a promise she assumes I made the night before
When she gets no response, she begins her pinball routine--puts her paws on my bed, rocks it like an earthquake, runs down the hall to the cupboard holding her leash
Back and forth she gallops, thinking I see where she goes
My head burrows into my pillow for one last moment of rest
Just the sound of her toenails guilts me into leaving the warmth of my bed
But it’s her eyes, her trusting eyes, that remind me what love feels like
It feels so good, better than the warmth of my bed or the softness of my pillow
Better than almost anything.

3 comments:

jay are said...

awwww...that's sweet. I'm so glad you have her.

jay are said...

Happy New Year, Andi. I know it must be hard and strange and surreal to face a new year in such a different place and space than you imagined you'd be in. I hope this new year is a good one, though, and brings new good memories along with the very special old ones.

Rob said...

Miss you, Dandi...